Monday, March 19, 2007

Light of the World

A couple of days ago I was reading the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5. I love to revisit this homily by Jesus frequently, because it forms the bedrock of so many basic Christian ethics and practices. In one particular portion, Jesus is crystal clear that we are the “light of the world,” and as that light we should shine brightly for all to see. He gives the command, “…let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

I have always found this verse (and others that convey a similar idea) so challenging and in many ways disconcerting. In essence, the quality of my life – the way I relate to others, lead my family, speak of Christ, minister to those in need – should lead others to recognize and glorify God. This has been such a heavy weight for me as a minister or pastor. So often I find myself engulfed in marital disharmony or in being overbearing to my children that I wonder how anyone could be led to Jesus by simply observing my life. And I have recently been so convicted by how lazy I find myself, how my work ethic is struggling – I stay in a perpetual state of fatigue that dampens all motivation.

Have you ever been around a couple or family that immediately seems to encourage and challenge you? It is as if they have figure some things out…they exude a peace and joy. They radiate Christ’s love, and all you want to do is spend as much time with them as possible, which usually involves some degree of smothering. These couples or families are so attractive, and every pastor wants them in their congregation. I want to be this kind of couple or family, the precise kind Jesus spoke of in his sermon. They shine so brightly that no one can miss it – they natural draw people to Jesus and provide a place of comfort and safety for those in need of encouragement and rest.

Lord, how do we get there? What needs to be figured out or overcome? What needs to be released or done away with? Lord, I want my life to be attractive to all those who see it and observe; I desire that they see my good deeds and glorify You.

1 comment:

Mellifluous said...

Amen! For you and for us!