Saturday, June 16, 2007

Processing Phil Elston & The Demonstrative Gifts

Last Wednesday I participated in a service that featured a gentleman by the name of Phil Elston, who is known internationally (within more charismatic circles) for his gift of prophecy. He was a laid-back and down-to-earth individual who was genuinely humble about his gifting. He gave a simple yet profound teaching on the nature of prophecy which seemed biblical and balanced, and then we transitioned into a “ministry time” in which he would gently approach various people and couples in the sanctuary and pray prophetically over them. The prayers and words of prophecy were encouraging and uplifting.

He prayed prophetically over a friend that has been working the past four months for FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) in Abilene. Without any previous knowledge, Phil prayed concerning this friend’s influence with coaches and athletes – it was amazing. I truly believe Phil is a modern day prophet, and the way he administered his gift seemed legitimate and powerful.

I personally tried to gauge my own expectations of the evening. He was very selective in terms of whom he prayed prophetically over, and only a small percentage of those there were prayed over. I internally wanted to be prayed over, but tried to convince myself not to be disappointed if he did not call me out. And of course, he did not pray over me. I thought at one point he might – he was walking in my direction and made eye contact for more than a few seconds. But then he averted his eyes and walked past me.

The entire evening was interesting and challenging for me. I affirm that the demonstrative gifts are still alive today, and I think I genuinely desire for them to be exercised. But I have seen so many abuses, or coercive tones taken, in relation to these gifts, that I have progressively lost my enthusiasm for them. And more times than not, I long for simple discipleship and Christ-likeness in character more than I long for a demonstration of mystical power. Is it possible to find some middle ground that affirms good theology and discipleship as well as a move of God’s Spirit? Or better yet, could it be that discipleship and character formation IS a powerful move of the Spirit? Hmm…food for thought and prayer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Brother,
We just had Philip with us for a week in South East Asia. I share the same experience with you and we have experienced the gentle moving of the Holy Spirit through the ministry of Philip Elston.
I really appreciate the way he exercises the gift of prophecy and how he functions. Solid holiness teachings and really down to earth, but powerful!
Thank you for sharing. I understand the tension between the real power gifts and all the fake stuff that is going on. Let's just trust the Lord anyways hey?
God bless you!
Claude Widmer