Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Father's Day to Remember

So this past Sunday morning, on Father’s Day (and my birthday), my day began with a fun adventure. Why do these things always seem to happen on Sunday mornings?

True to my usual routine, I got up around 6:00 a.m. to head to the church. As I was drying off from the shower, I felt this intense shock of pain in my left thumb. I literally thought I had been electrocuted – the pain in my thumb was unbelievable. I was trying to figure out what happened and held up my towel, only to see a three-inch scorpion crawling down my towel. I got stung…BY A SCORPION.

Adina’s parents happen to be in town, and her stepmother (Kerry) is a nurse. So we woke her to ask what we should do. We did not know if scorpions are poisonous or what treatment we should pursue…Kerry got up, as well as Adina’s dad (Gary), and they suggested (from years of experience on the mission field in Nepal) that one of the best treatments was to shock (from a DC source) the area in which I was stung in order to change the diffusion of the sting in my thumb. I was a bit unsure about it all but complied. So Adina’s dad rigged a spark plug cable in our car and shocked (with considerable jolt) my thumb. Picture in your mind an entire group of adults standing outside at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday shocking a scorpion bit thumb. Yes…it was quite comical, indeed!

My thumb is feeling better, but the entire episode was bizarre, to say the least. A Father’s Day and birthday to remember!

2 comments:

DenverSop said...

Holy crow! Lord, please don't send me to Texas!

Glad you are alright, Than!

DenverSop said...

Been a loooong silence here.... what's up?